12.03.2010

Snow

We get snow here only occasionally. It snows for maybe a day or two, last a day or two longer, and then goes back to the never ending rain. But it is a really big deal when it does, and today, it did.



Now, I've seen a lot of snow in my extensive years. Enough to know that I despise snow. Yet I have never, ever seen flakes the size of the snow that was falling here today. Some of them were literally the size of my palm. It truly did look like big fluffs of cotton were falling from the sky. I tried to take some pictures, which, of course, did not do these freak flakes justice at all. What can you do. But it was sure fun for the kids (and maybe even Mom and little tiny bit) to watch.


The bummer part is, this is the second day we've seen snow so far this winter, and both times the snow started right at lunch time. So I of course promised both times that as soon as the kids woke up from naps, we could go out and play in the snow. The first day (the day after Thanksgiving), I heard Cooper crying halfway through nap time, as she heard the rain outside the windows and knew that it was putting an end to her plans of an afternoon full of snowmen. You'd think I'd learn, but I made the same promise today, only to have the snow stop and immediately start melting as soon as I tucked the little ones into their beds.

We did find out today that we are for sure headed to Fairchild AFB in October (in Spokane, WA, hometown of all the coolest people in the world) so I suppose the munchkins will have plenty of years ahead of them to make snowmen. I cannot wait until they are old enough to go outside and play by themselves.






No comments: