7.14.2009

The days are long, but the years are short

Yesterday we had one of those days. All the parents out there know what I'm talking about, the day where your spouse comes home and asks how your day was, and all you can do is try not to cry when you say "crappy". By lunch time I had given three spanking, multiple time outs, cleaned up poop that was finger painted on the step stool, calmed a little boy who tumbled down the stairs, and nursed a screaming baby who did not want to wait until her next meal time to eat. All of course while trying to get something done, like laundry, or clean floors, or something that will make it look like I've done something with my day. By dinner time I had given up doing anything productive, cleaned up two potty accidents, been thrown up on by the baby, cleaned up myself and the baby, and bonked the baby's head on the way into the tub. And I think to myself, wow, this was a really long day. Sigh.

But then there are these moments, like this morning when Zeke threw himself into my lap to give me a fierce hug before spinning off in his whirlwind of activity. Or when he brought me his blanket and binky to sit and snuggle for a few minutes. And sitting here at the computer a few minutes ago with the baby curled up asleep on my chest, and I held her close, thinking about how this is the last time I will ever have a baby this little to just sit and hold, who will curl up and sleep on me (I then had to set her down to go see what the screaming upstairs was all about. But I resolved to sit and hold her tonight after the kids go to bed and enjoy a few more minutes of uninterrupted snuggles). Anyways, it reminded me that the years fly by, and to enjoy all these precious little moments with my three little babes. And that sometimes the "bad" moments can be funny if I let them. And now I must go be the entertainment, as both kids are up to mischief, and the baby is in her chair crying ;)

1 comment:

Kafflens said...

Oh Stace... I can so relate to your day! Thanks for taking the time to write it down. Helps me remember I'm not the only one. luv meli